The mission of the Wallowa County Department of Emergency Services is to assist in maintaining community well-being through disaster mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery activities as directed by Oregon Revised Statue 401.
- Serve as a point of contact for emergency and disaster questions or issues
- Provide hazard education and loss reduction program information
- Facilitate emergency and disaster planning efforts
- Promote community disaster preparedness
- Coordinate and respond to emergency and disaster situations
- Assist in community disaster recovery opportunities
The term emergency means a set of circumstances which demands immediate action to protect life, preserve public health, protect property and essential services. Public safety organizations such as law enforcement, emergency medical services & public health, fire services and public works organizations are the first to respond to emergencies. The term disaster is used to reflect situations which overwhelm the capabilities of the local public safety organizations.